Homemade Granola Bars *VLOG*

One of my kids’ favorite snacks have always been granola bars.  I like them too, because they’re easy to take with us on the go.  But when I cut back on processed foods, I decided that granola bars would have to go.  I had always thought they were pretty much junkfood disguised as granola, but it was one of the concessions I was willing to make.  Well, no more.  I’m trying to cut costs wherever I can to put towards the pastured chickens and eggs and raw milk that I’m buying, so granola bars have been pretty scarce around here lately.  And my kids miss them.

When I saw this recipe for homemade granola bars on Katie’s Kitchen Stewardship blog, I knew I was going to have to try them.  I thought it would be fun to videotape my little venture, so here you are!

Homemade Granola Bars from Jo-Lynne on Vimeo.

Can I just say how much I’m enjoying my new Frigidaire range and microwave?  That bottom rack that comes out when I open the oven door is so convenient, and the convection feature cuts cooking time down by about 25%, which is great when I’m trying to get dinner ready in a hurry.

For the granola bars recipe, go to Kitchen Stewardship.  And while you’re there, print off her granola recipe as well.   Boxed cereals are another food product that’s gone by the wayside lately, and I’ve been looking for a homemade cereal recipe that my kids like for the days that I don’t have time to make a hot breakfast.  Both girls gave this granola two thumbs up!

Comments

Gasp! It’s as if you read my mind. I had already found a friend’s granola recipe that I was going to try as a healthier cereal replacement, but my husband always grabs a bar on his way out the door in the mornings. He hasn’t liked the healthier versions I’ve found and I was just thinking that I needed to try to see if anyone had a recipe for a healthier bar I could make myself. I’ll have to try this recipe. Thank you ever so much!

2. Mrs Tass says

Oh this is perfect for the back to school lunch box. Being peanut free means my girls can have it in their peanut free classrooms for morning snack. Going to try today!!

Loved the video! I’ll be making some granola bars today. I like the fact that you can add a variety of “extras” to change the flavor a bit. How do you plan to wrap the bars to put into lunch boxes?

I have a good granola bar recipe too and they are SO MUCH BETTER than what you buy in the store. I do sub 1/2 the amount of butter with unsweetend applesauce to reduce the amount of fat. They bake up a little more cake like, but I like them that way.

I love that! I am going to have to try them – once we eat the granola bars and granola in my pantry. I am trying to cut out processed foods but just can’t bear the thought of throwing things out so I am incorporating Robyn’s 80/20 rule from the Unhealthy Truth.

6. Jo-Lynne says

Megan, I totally agree with the 80/20 rule. I am still using up a bunch of Purdue chicken in my freezer. It is painful to think of all those hormones going into my little girls’ bodies, but I tell myself they’ve been eating this stuff their whole lives, and a few more weeks won’t make that much difference in the long run. :-)

Jo-Lynne!!!! OHMYGOSH, I was just wondering if I could find a homemade granola bar recipe and you read my mind!!! How did you do that?

If you continue to read my mind, your next post will teach me how to make $1 million by laying around and watching TV.

Thanks for the recipe!!!

I have a granola recipe I like, but I MUST try that bar recipe. Looks great!
    I have 2 random questions from the video: first, why were your light fixtures swaying? Did you bap them by accident? That was funny!
    Also, I noticed the silver thing on the counter behind you. Is that a bread box? You hardly EVER see bread boxes in kitchens these days, although they used to be common. Just wondering.
    (Sorry to be exceptionally nosy)

Kelly, re: what to put them in – I always use a bag and then insist that the kids bring it home each day and simply toss the next day’s granola bar back into the same bag. Saves time, energy, resources. Lazy me! :)

re: 80/20 rule – I am also still using up packaged granola bars and junk…you can’t do it homemade ALL the time!

:) Katie

10. Jo-Lynne says

Mary Kathryn, LOL about the light fixtures. Yeah, I had bumped them. And my husband freaked when I asked him to produce this video b/c of the poor quality — the swaying light fixture was bugging him, as was the light coming in from the window behind me. And let’s not even get started on the audio. I promised him that if he would just produce this one, that he could set up for the next one. He’s not a perfectionist except when it comes to videos. Then everything has to be perfect. Drives me nuts, lol!!

And yes, that’s a bread box. I love it. I never had a good place to keep my bread, so when I saw that at my aunt’s house (this was years ago) I had to have one! I ordered it from William Sonoma, I think.

11. Barbara says

Thanks for the link to the granola bar recipe – so time saving not to have to search for one. I will definitely try this recipe – so easy and so much more nutritious. Yet another way to get out of the processed food chain.

Well, first let me say that I rarely take the time to watch vlogs, but am so glad I watched yours! So are you going to be auditioning for the next round of Food Network Star – you totally should!!

Everyone in my family enjoys granola bars and, while I try to buy the all-natural and organic varieties when they’re on sale, I think I’ve been inspired to try making my own! Thanks!!

13. Jo-Lynne says

Tracey, I could NEVER take the pressure of that show! But I do watch the Food Network religiously so I can’t say I haven’t thought about how fun it would be to pitch a show all about returning to traditional cooking. ;-)

Hey, those look pretty easy to make. I think I’ll go grab the recipe. Thanks for doing it on video, so I can see that it is that simple.

Thank you so much for sharing your journey into this new world of Whole Foods. I had thought about making the switch at about the same time you started blogging about it and you have helped my family and I so much! I was also just letting the kids have their granola bars because it was cheap and easy, but your recipe and video make it quite clear how EASY it can be to make your own! I can’t tell you how excited I am to make these myself! Hey, when you start making your own bread, PLEASE tape it because I would love to do that next ;-)

Love- super loved the video!
    Okay- I learned so many things. I have NEVER seen anybody rub their butter wrapper to grease a pan! Brialliant! I am going to do that all the time. And GREAT tips about local honey. You are super smart, girlfriend!! Love it all and will have to try the recipe!

I was just saying to my husband how I had this urge to bake something new today. Thanks for helping me out! Will be making these shortly, they look fantastic.

Chiming in again. I never shut up. But I wanted to give one more random granola bar tips for all of you trying the recipe! The crumbs at the bottom of your storage bag/box go GREAT over yogurt with fresh or frozen fruit… :)

I made these last night only raisins and walnuts. I ran out of honey so I used molasses. They tasted wonderful, but they aren’t holding together very well. I’m wondering if I didn’t cook them long enough or if the molasses made them too soft.

20. Jo-Lynne says

Kristin, they ARE a bit hard to get to stick. I really pressed hard into the pan; I read on the original recipe that I needed to do that.

Then I tried another recipe, and I actually like it better. My kids did too. I’ve been meaning to post about it.

Okay, it’s from Musings of Home and Hearth, but I can’t find it on her site so I’ll post it here.

Homemade Granola Bars
    from Musings of Home and Hearth

1 stick real butter, softened
    1 cup rapadra (sucanat)
    3 T raw honey
    1 t vanilla extract
    1 egg
    1 c soft wheat pastry flour, or spelt flour
    1 t cinnamon
    1/2 t baking powder
    1/4 t salt
    2 c organic quick oats
    1 c chocolate chips
    1 c dried cranberries (or dried cherries, or raisins)

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and rapadra. Add honey, vanilla, egg. Beat well. Combine dry ingredients, stir into creamed mixture. Fold in oats, chips, dried fruit. Press into a GREASED 9×13 pan, Bake 25 minutes at 350 or until the to is lightly browned. Remove from oven, let cool about 10 minutes in the pan, then cut the bars. DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT. Let them cool completely in the pan and then take them out. I get 12 “quaker sized granola bars” out of this.

21. Jo-Lynne says

Stephanie, that recipe looks good. Sweetened Condensed Milk is milk and sugar, basically. I use it with unsweetened chocolate to make hot fudge sauce for ice cream. I probably would prefer not to make granola bars with it. I’d rather sweeten them with honey or the unrefined sugars.

And thanks, girl. No, no shred. Haven’t done it since vaca. Waiting till kids go back to school and hoping to get back on the wagon then.

Stephanie: Here’s a recipe to make sweetened condensed milk more frugal (clearly this was before I learned about dry milk…maybe there’s a better one online):
    1 c. + 2 Tbs dry milk
    3/4 c. sugar (and you can cut it as you like)
    1/2 c. warm water
    1 tsp vanilla
    Microwave 90 seconds, stirring every 30 sec.
    This really works great. Here’s another w/o dry milk:
    Heat 1 can evaporated milk with 1 1/4 cup sugar until dissolved.

I wonder if you could make either one work with alternative sweeteners. At least this gives you a starting point for quantities.

23. Bambi says

thanks so much! I was looking for a homemade granola bar recipe. I am also cutting down on processed foods & have given up boxed cereals & packaged bars/snacks!