Learn to Cook Traditional Food: an eCourse

If you’re anything like me, you want to feed your family a more traditional diet, but some of the concepts are so foreign to you that you’d love to have a bit of hand holding along the way.  A hundred years ago, our mothers would have taught us many of these techniques, but unfortunately our modern food culture has deviated so far from traditional methods of food preparation that most of us have to look outside of our immediate sphere of influences to get this kind of instruction.  Plus nowadays, we have access to the wisdom of a variety of traditional cultures, which is wonderful except that learning how to cook food properly can often seem daunting.

Enter Wardeh Harmon, author of the GNOWFGLINS blog, and her eCourse on how to cook traditional foods.

wardeh-500x429

You might have noticed the big ol’ ad at the top of my sidebars.  That’s a link to the eCourse, and yes, I’m an affiliate, so I will make a small commission from anyone who registers for this course after following the link on my blog.  Of course, I am only promoting this because I think it’s an awesome resource.  In fact, I plan to take the eCourse myself.

It’s a 5-month course for $27 per month.  There will be 14 sessions, and each will include a video as well as audio and blog posts.  And there will be a forum where members can ask questions and share experiences.  Want a sneak peak of one of her videos?  Take a look at this:

Here is the eCourse overview.

* Lesson 1: The GNOWFGLINS Foundation
* Lesson 2: How to Soak Whole Grains, Nuts and Seeds
* Lesson 3: How to Make Soaked Whole-Grain Flour Baked Goods I
* Lesson 4: How to Make Soaked Whole-Grain Flour Baked Goods II
* Lesson 5: How to Soak and Cook Dry Beans
* Lesson 6: How to Sprout Beans
* Lesson 7: How to Cook a Chicken and Make Chicken Stock
* Lesson 8: How to Make Skillet Dishes: A Dinner Formula
* Lesson 9: How to Make Water Kefir
* Lesson 10: How to Make Dairy Kefir
* Lesson 11: How to Make Soft, Spreadable Cheese
* Lesson 12: How to Make Sourdough Bread
* Lesson 13: How to Sprout Whole Grains for Sprouted Grain Flour & How to Bake With Sprouted Grain Flour
* Lesson 14: How to Make Natural Pickled Foods

These are all things that I have been wanting to do and I wasn’t sure how to go about it.  Eventually I would have researched each one, experimented, and figured it out.  But this way, I get personalized instruction from someone who has already mastered these techniques, and I don’t even have to leave my house.

I’d love it if some of you would take the course with me so we can discuss our progress and share our experiences. I know it looks a bit daunting at first glance, but imagine the luxury of having someone guide you along each step of the way.  I’m not sure if I’ll make each of these food preparation techniques a habit in our home, but I would love to know how to accomplish them if and when I’m ever ready to implement them wholeheartedly.  Space is limited, and enrollment closes on February 22nd, so if you think you’re interested, don’t wait too long to sign up.

And also, I’ll let you in on a little secret.  Another reason I want to take the eCourse is because I’m thinking of offering my own version at some point — I’d like to offer instruction on how to prepare whole foods at a more introductory level.  I’m thinking of something geared to the mainstream mom who wants to venture into the world of whole foods but isn’t sure where to begin.  I’d love to hear your feedback about that.  Is that something you’d be interested in?

Comments

I know we discussed this previously, but it’s very much something I’m interested in. I’m snowed under with deadlines at the moment, but I have strong opinions on what I feel should be basic culinary knowledge. I believe it’s fine for everyone to reach for convenience food at certain times, but those should be the exception and not the norm. Additionally, I wish some companies felt compelled to put the health of their consumer higher on their priority list. (Political note: I stated I wish the companies felt compelled, notice I did not say were compelled, there is huge difference between the two.)

I have tried to cook with Nourishing Traditions and it can be very challenging. I think an e-course is perfect because it takes so much of the intimidation way from this style of diet. Although I don’t cook out of the book every day, I think of the style of cooking all the time. We recently started to get raw milk and that has been so much fun for our family. We are aiming to make butter, kefir and maybe cheese.

Not to be too nit-picky, but I suspect that 100 years ago our great-grandmothers would not have been making kefir in this country. Some where in the world, yes, but not here. :) And sprouting grain wasn’t exactly always popular either. The Ingalls family would have been a lot healthier during the “Big Snow” book if they had sprouted their grain instead of endlessly grinding it into bread, but that never seems to have occurred to them.

Which is not to say that any of these things are bad, but they are not necessarily returning to the “old” ways either.

• Jo-Lynne says

True, some traditional food prep techniques go back further than our great grandmothers, and many are from other cultures. Which is one of the benefits to living in the 21st century — while we’ve lost some of the good traditions from our own culture, we have the benefits of learning from other cultures too. Am I the only one that feels like singing “It’s a small world after all”? ;-)

Personally, I’m still trying to figure out how far I want to go with all of this. If it wasn’t for my gut issues, I’d probably stop right where I am now. But the more I read about the benefits of soaking and sprouting grains and nuts and all, the more I think I should probably give it a try. As I type this, my stomach is churning — I’m guessing it’s from the slice of bread I ate an hour ago. Ugh.

I just had Peggy Sutton from To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co. on my podcast show. She said, amazingly enough, that back in the old days, all wheat, spelt, rye etc. were sprouted by default. This is because farmers stored their grains in the fields until they were ready to be milled. She said the dew and moisture (I guess combined with the sun?) caused the grains to sprout or germinate prior to milling. Very interesting, huh?

My husband gave me the Nourishing Traditions cookbook years ago (before kids) and I don’t think I’ve ever used it. Even when I was following more of a clean foods diet, I found it intense. I would consider myself a mainstream mom whose mind is open to whole foods. I’d be interested in a course that offered basics and asked me to take baby steps. Now, I think I’ll go dig out my copy of the cookbook.

• Jo-Lynne says

Rebecca, I feel the same way. I have enjoyed the info in the front of the book, but the only recipe I’ve tried is the chicken stock.

I have just started getting into eating sprouts and more “live” foods, so this sounds awesome to me. I just don’t think I’m at the point of taking this ecourse, but I love your idea of starting something that the more ‘mainstream’ mom could dip her toe into. If and when you do your own series, I would definitely be interested!
    <3 Bay

I have just begun blogging my experience of learning to eat whole foods! The type of course you are talking of offering would be so much help to me as I learn to eat food as opposed to “edible foodlike substances”!

I’d be interested in a course if you came up with it. I’m a pretty mainstream Mom and am completely lost when it comes to natural foods – especially cooking them….I tend to burn things or I can’t get them to taste good LOL Instructions would be nice.

Yes, Yes, Yes…I’m interested…especially from you! Your idea is brilliant.

The eCourse that you mention in this post fascinates me, but I have to admit: I’m intimidated. I don’t even know what Kefir is, for goodness sakes. But I’d like to learn…from you. I think you have just the right kind of humor and authenticity to make me feel at home in the whole foods world.

Okay, so I took the plunge and signed up for the course. After perusing the message boards, I’m feeling very out of my element. I’ve done quite a bit of research on whole foods and what not, but my pantry currently has Cheetos in it for crying out loud! (Granted, I didn’t buy them, but I did eat some and give some to my kiddos.)

Anyways, I’m going to give this a try…

• Jo-Lynne says

LOL! LOL! Well I’m buying Lucky Charms for my husband’s birthday treat. You know what, I think it’s great to eat whole foods 80-90% of the time, but no one’s gonna die from a bag of Cheetos. ;-) I need to go check out the forums. I’ve been neck deep in design projects.