Tried and True: Crustless Quiche

I love quiche, but the crust is always a deterrent.  It’s got extra carbs and calories that I really don’t need, for one thing.  And for another, it’s a bit of a pain to make.  But when I found this recipe for crustless quiche, it was love at first sight.  The only problem with egg dishes is that my kids aren’t crazy about them.  But Paul and I like them, so phbbbt.  The kids have to deal.  I have, however, found a salad dressing they are all crazy about, so as long as I serve a salad with the quiche, at least they’re eating something.  And can I just say that if you want to go all out, these would be the perfect accompaniment for this meal.

quiche

Isn’t that the piddlinest little piece of quiche you’ve ever seen?  That was my plate.  Next time I’ll take a photo of my husband’s.

I basically followed the recipe but I fattened it up a little bit.  Here’s my version.

First, caramelize the onions by cooking them in a saute pan in olive oil over low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  This isn’t the same as sauteeing.  If you cook them very slowly like this, it will bring out their sweetness.  YUMMMMM.  They’ll look like this when they’re done.

quiche

Then, in the same pan, saute the broccolini/broccoli rabe/broccoli.

quiche4

*I couldn’t find broccolini at the grocery store, so I mistakenly assumed that broccoli rabe would be a good substitution.  I came home and researched the difference, and they aren’t even from the same vegetable family. As it turns out, plain ol’ broccoli probably would have been a better substitution.  So now I know.  The quiche still tasted good, but it was a tad on the bitter side, and I’m assuming that was the fault of the broccoli rabe.  However, my family ate it right up, just the same, and even the kids at some of it.  This is the sort of dish that you could totally experiment with — try whatever veggies you have on hand.

After a few minutes, add the swiss chard and saute for a few more minutes, till just wilted, like this.

quiche5

Then butter a quiche dish, or in my case, a glass 9×9 pan, and spread the cheese over the bottom.  Layer the cooked greens on top and the onions on top of that.  And the prosciutto on top of that.

quiche

Then, in another bowl, beat the eggs and milk together with salt and pepper if you desire.   Pour on top of the filling, and bake!

quiche2

Cook for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees until the top is golden and it’s set in the middle.

quiche

It’s not the most attractive baking vessel, but it works.

(Note to self: get a quiche dish.)

Tivo Premiere

Comments

is there such a thing as a quiche dish? I had no idea…

and I make quiche on a semi-regular basis. Shows how much I know!

That IS the piddlinest (love that word!) little piece of quiche I’ve ever seen! I was glad you said something because as soon as I saw the picture, I thought, “That’s all?!” I’ve seen you and you could afford to eat the whole 9×9, but I suppose not eating the whole 9×9 is precisely why you could afford it. Anyway, the quiche looks delicious and I think I’ll try it. I have broccolini in my refrigerator at this moment, but I also have no quiche dish. I gave mine away years ago before a move because to that point, I’d never used it and I assumed I never would.

My kids and husband all like egg dishes and we sometimes make a frittata, which is pretty similar. I like the idea of these ingredients, though, especially the caramelized onions.

Thanks for sharing your recipe find. Also, can I ask — what’s the salad dressing that your whole family likes?

Oh, holy YUM! That looks fantastic, thanks for sharing. And, I second Rebecca’s question regarding the salad dressing. I am officially intrigued. :)

Yum! That looks fantastic. I secretly really LOVE the crust on quiche, but knowing what it does to my backside, I’ll try your version! :)

Yum! I never eat the crust on quiche – crust just doesn’t do it for me (I prefer cobbler to pie too). I’ll have to try this. It looks great. Spinach and broccoli would probably be more fan favorites in my house than the swiss chard and broccoli rabe though.

I may just have to order quiche for lunch today :)

6. Yvonne says

Perfect timing! I just made a ham for dinner last night and was looking for my quiche recipe to use up the left overs. I could not find my recipe, but your looks wonderful. I too, am a fan of the crustless quiche.

I will often make a quiche now and not use a crust because I don’t want those added carbs and calories either. This looks really yummy, especially with the caramalized onion, I’ve never used them before like that. Gotta try this :)

8. Jennifer says

I made this for dinner tonight and it was fabulous!!!! Hubby and I enjoyed it. Have been reading for a while and really like your blog and am learning from your food journey.

I need to try this. I’m such an in-the-box type of thinker. I’ve never made quiche because I didn’t have the pan. I need someone like you to come along and tell me it’s ok to use what I’ve got.

piddle. i thought that was a southern word! guess not if you are using it! we need to get together, i have a quiche pan i use in place of a casserole dish….we could switch!

11. Beth says

I’m making ours with broccoli, spinach, and pancetta. Yum! The crust is always my least favorite part of the quiche so I don’t mind skipping at all!

12. Denise B says

Thank you or sharing this recipe again. I made this for dinner tonight with asparagus instead of broccolini and bacon instead of prosciutto. It was wonderful! My hubby who doesn’t like veggies even tried some.