How to Make Egg Salad

Egg salad is one of those old fashioned recipes that I kind of take for granted that everyone knows how to make, but let’s face it . . . there’s some pretty nasty egg salad roaming around out there. My egg salad recipe will never fail you. It’s quite simple, and the key is a hint of mustard and getting the perfect amount of salt and pepper. It’s pretty basic, but if you like a simple egg salad, you will love this. I have been making this a lot lately, it’s such a yummy lunch.

Like most of my very basic recipes — my homemade whole wheat bread and buttermilk pancakes, for instance — this egg salad recipe came from my good friend, Betty Crocker.

You have to start with perfect hard boiled eggs. I used five.

homemade egg salad recipe

Then you take your trusty potato masher, and you start mashing.

mashing the eggs

Till it’s your desired consistency. I like mine a bit chunky.

best egg salad 3

Now grab your favorite mayonnaise. Are you ready for this? It’s highly scientific. Take a tablespoon from your silverware drawer and place a generous dollop or two on top of your mashed up eggs.

Then take your mustard and squeeze a teaspoon or so into the eggs. (Go easy. You can always add more, but if you go overboard, it’s p-r-e-t-t-y tangy.)

Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

making egg salad

Now I know a lot of people add crazy things to their egg salad like relish or pickles or herbs. You can do that if you like, but I prefer not to desecrate my egg salad with vegetation.

Mix it up.

best egg salad recipe

And taste. Does it taste like the egg salad your grandma used to make? If not, you might need to add a bit more salt and pepper. Or mustard if you need some oomph.

Now. You may eat it as is, but I prefer an edible vehicle upon which to deliver my egg salad. So.

Take a slice of your favorite bread. Mine is Udi’s of course.

gluten free bread

Toast it, and slather it with butter. Because, well . . . everything is better with butter!

buttered gluten free toast

Yes, I butter everything.

Add a couple of lettuce leaves, and then top that with a nice big scoop of egg salad. Sprinkle with paprika, garnish with something colorful, and you have the perfect egg salad lunch!

how to make egg salad 5

Comments

LOVE Egg Salad! I like it with a sprinkle of red wine vinegar – it gives it a nice tang that is pretty tasty. Sometimes if I’m feeling sassy, I’ll add chopped green olives. But NO celery – I despise celery in Egg Salad….

I love egg salad but hardly ever have it because I’m always uneasy about buying it from somewhere (how long has it been out, did they use proper sanitation practices, etc.) and I have never made it. I think I know what I am having for lunch today! Thanks Jo-Lynne!! :)

3. lee ann says

I love egg salad!! Recently, I have been using plain Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, and it tastes pretty much the same… to me. And, I agree with you, don’t add any other funky stuff to it! Just egg salad on bread with some lettuce. Perfect!!

4. Just Another Housewife says

My family loves egg salad (when we need a bit more we turn it into a mac salad by adding elbow noodles) but we like the honey mustard version. Miracle Whip, Dijon mustard and honey mixed than add that to the eggs. That is if you like honey mustard. If not, forget about it. :)

Mmmmm. I love egg salad. I make mine with pickle relish and a splash of vinegar and mayo. But just this weekend I had some of the BEST egg salad ever in a little tea room. It was made with bacon bits and blue cheese and celery. Even though it sounds gross, it was amazing. Mmmm.

6. Tamra says

I love a good egg salad sandwich. I’ve found two versions here that I had never heard of before. One is just mashed eggs with butter. it’s not too bad. The other is disgusting. I’m not sure what all is in it but they actually call it curried egg salad so obviously the two main ingredients are eggs and curry powder. YUCK!!! So i’m always very careful when reaching for the egg salad sandwiches at church fellowship lunch. =)

I always added a little pickle juice to give it some zing (similar to the relish added by others) Believe it or not, I used to make egg salad all the time when I was a kid… Love it.

try adding fresh dill, chopped green onion, bits of garlic chives or sliced olives to the egg salad. unless i am having guests over, i always eat with slices of red onion. fancy up the bread and it’s fun food to serve for a quick lunch with a friend. have her bring the ingredients for milkshakes! or maybe i could top it with caviar, if i am hosting “the real housewives of someplace fancy.”

great basic recipe! thanks for posting!

9. Melanie says

Mmm…I made this today, and it was so yummy! I added spicy mustard to mine. Will definitely be making this again…thank you!

10. Isaac says

I was so hungry one night and was craving egg salad and unfortunately didn’t know how to make it. So as I searched the web and found some funky egg salad recipe’s I found this one and loved how simply and easy it was. I just got finished making it and have to say its the best egg salad I’ve ever had and was so simple to make and took less then 5 minutes (With boiled eggs done ahead of time). I highly recommend this mouth watering recipe!!!

11. leanne says

You are absolutely right, there is a lot of ranky egg salads out there. Perhaps that’s why I was never really a fan until I was daring enough to try an egg salad sandwich at the deli right around the corner from my house. It was so fluffy and good! Even my two year old found it to be quite delicious! I’ve been dreaming of that egg salad sandwich ever since! When I came across your recipe, I was just so thankful that it didn’t include celery and/or nuts, grapes or any other “foreign objects” that would make my son turn his nose up at it. I figured it was a rather simple recipe, but one can never be too sure. Thanks so much for sharing your simple, yet delicious take on such a timeless classic!