This gluten free banana bread has been such a hit, I can’t believe it. It’s so good, it was featured in Southern Living Magazine — yes, even the Print Version!!! I had pretty much resolved that gluten free breads will never taste like what I’m used to, until this gluten free banana bread proved me wrong. Read the comments and see for yourself. People rave about this recipe. It was really a fluke, as I hadn’t done much gluten free baking when I concocted this recipe, using a few I found online for inspiration. But now it’s one of the most popular recipe on my site. ENJOY!!!
You know when you have bananas sitting around that look like this, it is time to make banana bread!
How to Make THE BEST Gluten Free Banana Bread
I started with four pastured eggs.
Add to that 4 or 5 mashed, ripe bananas, a cup of sugar, 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and 1/3 cup melted coconut oil.
Since coconut oil is solid at room temperature, I have this awesome little Cast Iron Butter Melter that I use to melt butter and/or coconut oil for all my recipes.
After that is mixed up really well, you can add your dry ingredients. I use this Authentic Foods Brown Rice Flour for most of my baking needs.
I also used some Sorghum Flour because I didn’t have enough brown rice flour. Plus, I think a variety of flours help the flavor and texture of gluten free breads.
Add some baking soda, salt and vanilla, and it’s time to mix it up!
If you use a small loaf pan, this recipe makes 2 loaves — one to eat, and one to freeze! Or make one big loaf and bake 10 minutes longer.
After 45 minutes in a 350-degree oven, your mouth will be starting to water. Try to be patient and let it cool before cutting into it. Either way, your taste buds will thank me!
Seriously, who knew gluten free banana bread could be this good!??
The most delicious gluten-free banana bread you'll ever eat!
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups very ripe mashed bananas
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup melted butter or coconut oil
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts and/or chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly.
- Add mashed bananas, sugar, applesauce, butter and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Add to wet mixture, flours and salt and baking soda. Mix until all ingredients are moist.
- Pour batter evenly into 2 greased 8x4-inch loaf pans or 1 greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes for the smaller pans or 60-75 minutes for the larger, or until bread is no longer wet in the middle. Use a toothpick or the touch test to gauge doneness.
- Remove from pan after about 10 minutes and cool on wire rack.
If you like this gluten free banana bread recipe, check out my recipe index. It’s full of tried and true nutritious recipes (many gluten-free) that your family is sure to love.
Mega thanks to Southern Living MagazineÂ for featuring my recipe in their January 2013 print magazine!