Mega thanks to Southern Living Magazine for featuring my recipe in their January 2013 print magazine as well as online!!!
You have NO idea how excited I was to make this gluten free banana bread. To this point, I have not found any gluten free bread recipes that remotely resemble the regular kind. I had pretty much resolved that gluten free breads will never taste like what I’m used to, and that’s okay. But this banana bread proved me wrong.
You know when you have bananas sitting around that look like this, it is time to make banana bread!
I started with four pastured eggs.
Add to that 4 or 5 mashed, ripe bananas, a cup of sugar, 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce and 1/3 cup melted coconut oil.
Since coconut oil is solid at room temperature, I have this awesome little Cast Iron Butter Melter that I use to melt butter and/or coconut oil for all my recipes.
After that is mixed up really well, you can add your dry ingredients. I use this Authentic Foods Brown Rice Flour for most of my baking needs.
I also used some Sorghum Flour because I didn’t have enough brown rice flour. Plus, I think a variety of flours help the flavor and texture of gluten free breads.
Add some baking soda, salt and vanilla, and it’s time to mix it up!
If you use a small loaf pan, this recipe makes 2 loaves — one to eat, and one to freeze! Or make one big loaf and bake 10 minutes longer.
After 45 minutes in a 350-degree oven, your mouth will be starting to water. Try to be patient and let it cool before cutting into it. Either way, your taste buds will thank me!
The most delicious gluten-free banana bread you'll ever eat!
- 4 eggs
- 4 or 5 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (or butter)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly.
- Add mashed bananas, sugar, applesauce and vanilla and mix thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, melt coconut oil gently on stovetop.
- Add to wet mixture, flours and salt and baking soda. Mix until all ingredients are moist.
- Fold in melted coconut oil, mixing just until it is blended in.
- Pour batter evenly into 2 greased loaf pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until bread is no longer wet in the middle. Use a toothpick or the touch test to gauge doneness.
- Remove from pans after about 10 minutes and cool on wire racks.
If you like this recipe, check out my recipe index. It’s full of tried and true nutritious recipes (many gluten-free) that your family is sure to love.