What To Wear To Disney World

Want more fashion posts?? Sign up for email updates or visit my other fashion & beauty posts!

Since I’ll be in Disney World when this post goes up, I thought it fitting that Fashion Friday take on a Disney theme this week. Let’s discuss what to wear to Disney World!

what not to wear to disney world

No, no, NO, please do not wear that. (Unless you’re 15. THEN you may wear that. If your momma lets you out of the house in those shorts, anyway.)

But above all. DO NOT wear this. Anywhere.

Disney is certainly no fashion mecca, but that’s no reason to throw all sense of style to the wind. You really can be cute AND comfy at a theme park. It just takes a little bit of thought and planning.

Not to get all judgey, but I always marvel at some of the outfits people choose to wear to amusement parks. There’s always the sweet young thing in a strapless dress and heels, teetering around the park as if it’s a nightclub.

Then there’s the fanny-pack brigade. (Please don’t let that be you!)

And way too many people look like they pulled out their oldest tee-shirt and leggings just for the occasion.

I know it’s not all about how you look, but really, how difficult is it to put some thought into what you’re wearing? After all, even if you don’t care that you’re going to run into approximately 25,000 people in a day, those photos are going to be around for years.

I’ve been to Disney World twice with my family of five, so I’ve got it pretty much down to a science.

You’ll be doing a TON of walking, so you want to be comfortable. But you also know that there will be a lot of photographic evidence of the event, so you want to look cute.

You also want to be prepared for anything — a random rain shower, an errant spray of ketchup, a leaky toddler . . . so you need a bag that can accommodate all your gear.

Here is an example of a great theme park outfit.

style="display:inline-block;width:468px;height:60px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-3009632093210445"
data-ad-slot="3139792679">

What To Wear To Disney World

what to wear to disney world

Updated 3/15/14: Sorry, all the links to the above outfit are old, but I left the photo as an idea. Here are some outfits with current links! (some links may be affiliate links)

what to wear to disney worldOld Navy tank // Old Navy Lightweight Zip Hoodie // Boyfriend Denim Shorts // Clarks Haley Toucan // Mosey Camper Bag

what to wear to disneyOld Navy Ruffled Slub-Knit Henley // Old Navy V-Neck Boyfriend Cardi // Cuffed Capri Jeans // Orthaheel Julie Sandal // Kipling Crossbody Bag

Let’s break it down.

1. Keep it casual, but put some thought into it.

Leave the designer duds at home and go for a casual skirt, shorts or jeans. Top it with a favorite tee and bring along a hoodie or casual cardigan in case it gets chilly. Lightweight pieces are best because you will probably be sweaty, and you might get wet on an occasional water ride. For cooler weather, definitely pack jeans and a few long-sleeved tops or sweaters. Layers are your friends!

2. Wear shoes that are comfortable but cute.

Privos by Clarks makes adorable shoes that are much cuter than sneakers but give your feet the same protection and support. Puma makes some cute ones too. If you must wear a sneaker, go with a fashion sneaker rather than a clunky athletic one. Also, check out Orthaheels. They make sandals and flip-flops that are very comfortable. With any shoe, be sure to break them in at home before packing for your trip.

Clarks Haley Lark // Clarks Haley Falcon // PUMA Drift Cat 4 // Converse Seasonal Ox

Here are a few more shoes to consider:

Cute Walking ShoesKalso Earth Shoe Penchant Too // KEEN Venice Sandal // Earth Zephyr T-Strap Sandal // Naot Dorith // Sanuk Yoga Mat Flip Flops

Here are some more cute, comfy ballet flats to choose from.

Comfortable Ballet FlatsCrocs Kadee Ballet Flats // Dr. Scholls Joliet Ballet Flat // Clarks Haley Eagle Ballet Flat // Keen Women’s Mercer Ballerina CNX Shoe

3. Dress in layers, depending on the weather.

Always bring a sweatshirt or cardigan (evenings are often chilly, plus sometimes the indoor rides are cold and dank). And a lightweight poncho is always a good idea for those surprise rainstorms.

4. Bring a lightweight bag that is large enough for your gear.

I like the thin backpack bags for me (as pictured above) because it keeps your hands free but isn’t so heavy as to break your back. If you have kids with you, you’ll need something bigger. There are some stylish backpacks out there, though. Here are a few! (updated 3/5/14)

Stylish Backpacks for Disney World

1. Welcome Backpack // 2. Nixon Vault Backpack // 3. Moxie Day Pack // 4. Kate Spade Patten Nylon Backpack // 5. Baggallini Urban Backpack // 6. Mosey Camper Bag

5. Don’t forget your sunscreen!

You can see my outfits from my last trip to Disney on this post: Daily Mom Style | Disney World Edition.

Also see my post: 10 Tips for Enjoying Disney World with Kids

Be sure to subscribe to my RSS feed or sign up to get my posts delivered right to your email inbox!

Comments

1. Susan says

I WISH I would have read a post like this last year before we went. I was so busy preparing to leave and preparing for our trip that I didn’t think about it until the last minute. The first day I wore a comfie purple t-shirt that upon post-picture review added about 25 lbs to my frame! A little planning would have made me treasure our Disney pics a lot more!

Oh, this is just the encouragement I need. Seriously, sometimes when you are traveling with four kids to a place where no one knows you it is easy to just wear whatever. We are headed to Disneyland this summer. Thanks for reminding me that I will be happier with the pictures if I put a little effort into my wardrobe. (And, oh, I love those privos!)

Latest post: Eleven

Love those puma ballet sneaks! Hope you’re having a fabulous and fairly fashionable time there :) I’m mentally filing these outfits away for our next family trip!

YAY You’re at Disney World! And I totally rock that first outfit, don’t hate. ;) Well, my shorts are nicer, but there’s no reason a Mickey Mouse t-shirt is evil at Disney World. You have to remember that it’s a place where people wear mouse ears non-ironically. MOUSE EARS! All kinds!

My trip in June 2011? I was looking seriously cute. My February 2012 trip greeted me with lost luggage, so my outfits were limited.

I hope you’re having fun!

Haha. I actually don’t hate that first outfit. True confessions, I bought a cute, fitted Minnie Mouse tee last time I was there. It is actually quite similar to the one I posted here. Of course, I have only worn it once or twice, around the house. But I suppose there IS a time and place for a cute Mickey tee. Just PLEASE get the fitted kind! LOL

OH yes. DEFINITELY fitted! I made the mistake of not wearing a fitted one. Twice. I didn’t realize how bad I looked until I saw the pictures!!

I wish this post had been around in those days.

So glad you posted this!! We are leaving Wednesday and I don’t have “theme park attire”!! I’ve been shopping today and will wrap up tomorrow…thanks for the tips and suggestions.

6. Erica says

We leave in four weeks. Most of my girls (3) wardrobe is planned, husbands have it easy but what about Mommy dearest? It’s the shoes that are always the issue, no? And as you mentioned, the photos. I was leaning toward a ‘I’m actually about to hit the gym look’ with running capris and shoes all week but then realized my girls would be all cute in their tutus and cardigans. Not exactly a cohesive family look. Now I’m back to skinnies, ballets & tees I guess. And I second that the first look was kinda fun, with some slouchy cowgirl type boots and super toned legs, but alas, there is that stik’n shoe issue again ;) Final thought, does the Gucci waistbag circa Carrie SATC 1999 count as a fanny pack?? Don’t answer that. I know it does but I’m thinking of pulling it out of retirement nonetheless. Hope your October trip was great!

7. carla sandoval says

Thanks for the tips! My first time to Disney and I want to be prepared. We plan to travel in June & we have teenagers. They have been to Disney once before when they were younger. I love reading your blogs, they are always so detailed and helpful.

8. lily says

We are going to Disney World in a month and I could not be more excited!! I love the Pumas (all of them Haha) but I must say, I am TOTALLY wearing mickey and minnie shirts while we are there! Cute, fitted, and fashionable of course ;) I am even going as far as wearing a skull and swords-crossed shirt for our Pirates experience! I figure this is my one chance to dress like my 9-year-old daughter and not be judged. Thanks for the ideas!

9. KimC says

I know this post is older, but it popped up whilst I was looking for comfortable shoes to wear to the parks. I would like to note: for some people, jean shorts are a very very bad idea for park wear. Damp, sweaty jean shorts cause painful chafing.

10. Karen says

Thank you so much for this! We’re spending a week there and I’m finding it’s SO much easier to pack for our three kiddos than to pack my own bag. It really all comes down to the shoes. I don’t want to look like my mom wearing capris with running shoes. ;) I appreciate someone who knows it’s important to feel comfy AND cute!

no fanny packs? well, great! i’m gonna have to re-work my entire wardrobe for #DisneySMMoms! LOL #justkidding

This is a GREAT round-up of products! Curious, are those Old Navy affiliate links???