2013 Bucket List

I don’t do resolutions. They don’t work out for me. (Do they work out for anyone?) But last night as we sat around the table at a local bar-and-grille, waiting for our food to come, my husband asked us to go around the table and share something that is on our Bucket List for 2013. It was just our little family of five, and it was fun to hear what each of the kids came up with.

When it was my turn, I thought a minute and said, “I want to go somewhere I’ve never been before!”

I’ve grown up going to many of the same places over and over again. I want to go somewhere new this year, see something different, and take my family with me. So we started talking about things we’d like to do — take a trip out West, visit Europe, rent a house on a sandy beach somewhere tropical . . . of course the list went on and on. I’m not sure our budget will allow for any of those opportunities, but we’re going to try to come up with something.

So this morning I got to thinking about my Bucket List for 2013. Most of the items on my Bucket List aren’t nearly as exotic as visiting somewhere new. Here’s what I’ve got so far. I’ll probably be adding to it over the next week or so!

2013 Bucket List

1. Visit somewhere I’ve never been before.
  2. Run a 10K.
  3. Organize and purge the attic.
  4. Unplug for one whole day. (No, I’ve never actually done that!!)
  5. Learn to make a gluten-free pie crust that tastes like the real thing.
  6. Attend Mom 2.0 Summit.
  7. Wear a ball gown.
  8. Publish an eBook.
  9. Try a new exotic food.
  10. Learn how to use our fancy camera.
  11. See my writing published in a print magazine.
  12. Get a workable organizational system for my Laundry Room.
  13. Learn to apply a “Smokey Eye”.
  14. Take a Zumba class.
  15. Plant an herb garden.

What’s on your 2013 Bucket List??? Dish!

Comments

Have you ever been to New Mexico? I’d love to help you visit here in our little fun town. We have some really old places, atomic museum, hot air balloons and hot n spicy chiles. My family could show you around! :-) just a thought.

2. Kim Holt says

Love the idea of a bucket list…..curious what our kids would say. Will have to ask them later today over our New Years Day meal. Do you do anything special for new years day? I am not really a pork and sourkraut kind of gal…..but my dear friend said they do brats and have sourkraut on the side. I could do that. Think I am actually going to try a chicken dish I have been “eyeing” on pinterest for a while.
    As for your camera? What did you get? My husband just bought me some fancy camera (he researched on consumer reports) but that doesn’t mean I am going to be able to figure it out. I was trying to do a search on your website about taking pictures you did a while back but couldn’t find it.

3. Janet says

Love you idea of a yearly bucket list. It does sound much better than making resolutions, but at the same time, it’s a listing of things we might hope to change or try in our lives. I’m going to try some brainstorming today by myself and with my family.

My travel bucket list is a mile long! You may want to think about taking your family to Bryce and Zion National parks. When our 2 were 10 and 12, we flew out to Las Vegas and spent a few days taking in some of the free shows that the hotels put on. Then we drove to Zion, Bryce, Page, Arizona and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Las Vegas has reasonable hotel rates during the week. The national parks have cabins and lodges-we stayed in the cabins. We are not campers or roughing it types, but they were fine. While in Zion, you can hike in the river-I have a great picture of my then 10 year old puddle jumping son grinning from ear to ear when we told him that he could get his hiking shoes wet.

That is a great list. I am working on a dslr workshop for moms and dads that want to learn about their camera. I will share more details as it comes together if you are interested.

Happy New Year!

6. Lee Ann says

Those all sound great! My 19 year old always makes a list of things she would like to accomplish for the year, for the summer, etc. She’s so better than her mom for that! We always take a family vacation to someplace we’ve never been. We’ve been to over 20 states without flying. If you take a trip west, you must drive. We made that trip 5 years ago. There are so many beautiful places to see!

Our family has a travel bucket list too now. We talked about it for the last few months. We are guilty of always going on vacation where a family member lives. This year we are talking Hawaii! Thanks for sharing!

I don’t do resolutions either. I usually set a few goals for myself and call it good. I like the bucket list or one word thing everyone’s talking about. Sounds like a new fresh take on resolutions. :)