I wanted to make a special gluten-free Valentine’s Day treat for us to enjoy as a family. I had a loaf of Udi’s Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread in my freezer, so I decided to look online for a chocolate bread pudding recipe (if I’m gonna make bread pudding, it’s gonna be chocolate, can I get an amen!?)
I found this recipe on Epicurious and when I confirmed that I had all the ingredients in my kitchen, I went to work!
This is all you need:
First you melt a half stick of butter (I used 3/4) and chop up a loaf of Udi’s bread (it came to 8 cups, not 6 — thus the increase in butter).
Chop up a 4-oz bar of unsweetened chocolate.
Drizzle the butter over the bread, and mix well.
Then you spread it into a greased casserole dish.
In a medium saucepan, bring milk and heavy cream to a simmer. It will be just starting to bubble, but it’s not a full boil. Like this.
As soon as it starts to simmer, remove it from the heat and stir in the chocolate. The recipe says stir until it’s completely smooth, but mine didn’t quite get there. It looked like this.
While the milk is heating up, whisk 4 egg yolks and a cup of sugar together. Mine were pretty stiff.
Then pour the hot milk/cream/chocolate mixture in and stir it up.
Then pour that over the bread in the casserole dish, cover, and let it set for one hour so the liquid can soak into the bread.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until it’s set in the middle.
It may not look pretty, but trust me. It. Is. Delicious.
Top it with sweetened whip cream and serve warm or at room temp.
Serve it in a cup or on a plate.
Or if you’re like me, eat it directly from the pan.
However you eat it, it won’t last long!
- 1 loaf Udi's Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- cinnamon, optional
- Butter an 8x8x2-inch glass baking pan or similar sized casserole dish.
- Place bread cubes in large bowl, drizzle with melted butter and toss to coat.
- Spread the bread in the buttered baking dish.
- Heat milk and cream in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat until it just starts to simmer.
- Turn off the heat and whisk in the chocolate.
- Mix together sugar and egg yolks, then add to milk/chocolate mixture.
- Stir well and pour over the bread.
- Cover and let it set for about an hour.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for about 35-40 minutes or until set.
- Top with whipped cream, sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon and serve warm or at room temp.
For more gluten-free Valentine’s Day recipes as well as craft ideas and heart-healthy cooking tips, join us tomorrow night for a Live Chat in the Udi’s Gluten Free Community!