Plastic Surgery: Would You or Wouldn’t You?

I’m super excited to tell you that I’ve got a new writing gig! I am one of six contributors to Smart Beauty Guide – a brand new website sponsored by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.

Smart Beauty Guide

We’ll be dishing on beauty & wellness topics, cosmetic surgeries, injectables and medical spa treatments. I’ll be writing two posts a month over there, as well as one post a month on a related topic here on Musings of a Housewife.

I’ve always been one to take care of myself. I started wearing makeup when I was 13. Hey, it was the South and the eighties. What more can I say? My mom instilled in me good skincare habits from the get-go, and to this day I never go to bed without taking off my makeup and applying some type of night cream. But I’ve never had any cosmetic procedures beyond the basic spa facial or body scrub.

Now that I’m in my 40s, that’s definitely something that’s on my radar. I keep meaning to look into microdermabrasion and some other non-invasive procedures so this will be the perfect opportunity to do the research I’ve been putting off and share with you what I discover. Of course if I DO decide to try out any procedures, you’ll be the first to hear all about them!

There’s a broad spectrum of available cosmetic procedures these days — everything from re-surfacing and injectables to cosmetic surgery. I’m curious. Have you ever had any elective plastic surgical procedures? If not, where do you draw the line? Are you open to non-invasive procedures but draw the line at surgery? Will you consider a facelift when you get older? What would cause you to consider it? Or are you diabolically opposed to elective surgery, no matter what?

I find this topic interesting. There was a time when I was seriously considering a certain surgical procedure that I thought would improve my quality of life, but then I got over it. Now and then I joke about getting a tummy tuck, but I don’t think I’ll ever seriously consider it. After all, that’s what Spanx are for.

But I admit that I don’t relish seeing the evidence of age and gravity weighing on my face. I already shamelessly photoshop out some of my laugh lines when I post closeup photos on the blog. I can’t say for sure what I will or won’t do in another 10 or 20 years. For now I’m hoping to make the most of a consistent skincare regimen and some of the less invasive cosmetic options to keep my skin looking as youthful as possible. Then I’ll just have to take every year as it comes.

How about you? What is your philosophy on aging gracefully? Or . . . not?

Comments

I’m not opposed to people doing it. But, for me, I’m learning to embrace who I am and how I physically change. It all started with my decision about a year and a half ago to stop coloring my hair. I actually look at my grey hair growing in and feel quite confident that I am who I am!

I’m hoping to age gracefully without the need of intervention. My mom has gorgeous skin and looks 10 or so years younger than she is so I’m crossing my fingers I do too!!

No, no, no. I’m not interested in that surgery. That said … when I was 22, my dad pretty much insisted that I have my nose done. I had a whopping big hump in it (think Mayan), and it was important to him. So I did. I didn’t enjoy it. I don’t like the new nose much. I sometimes miss my old nose — haha! It did help me breath a little better.

Aging. Well, I view it rather theologically. I have only about 30 years left on this tired, old, baggy, aging earth. Then it’s OFF for me to a new, better place! I really do believe in the old “resurrection of the body,” and I’m waiting for the One who made this body the first time, to remake it so it will never age again. A thrilling thought! I don’t celebrate age and infirmity; I celebrate youth and life. But I don’t want to fool myself (and be a fool) into thinking that I can do with stitches and glue what only God can do with his creative power. And in some ways, I love seeing old people, even with their wrinkles and sagginess. Often their wisdom, patience, and deep love shine through their skin and make it more beautiful.

It’s a tough call – and I’ve known people who have had great experiences with their own surgeries in the past. I’m not sure I’d ever consider surgery for myself. For now I’m just trying to focus on enjoying what I have. Some days it works, other days… not as well. All part of the process, though, right?

I don’t like the idea of changing the actual look/structure of my face…but I want to get a bunch of sun damage zapped off and I wouldn’t mind if someone wanted to move my boobs back north…and I had a tummy tuck post-second-c-section which was horrible to go through, yet probably one of the best things I did body-wise.

I find people who “look their age” to be much more beautiful…I feel like some of the things that plastics “fix” actually take away the personality and uniqueness in a face. Me, personally, I love looking a face that has crows feet, laugh lines, etc. because when that person talks or smiles those imperfections can be stunning and they let me know these people are “real” and have lived life.

7. Susan says

Having taken care of MANY a woman who developed horrific complications on the OR table from elective cosmetic surgery, I always always said NO WAY.

But here I am at 44 and I have an “abdominal shelf” (1 C-section, 1 exploratory lap; a hysterectomy and open abdominal sigmoid colon resection)..and I would truly love to get rid of it. Because despite being in reasonable shape, there is no amount of situps and planks and whatever to get rid of the shelf.

I just love what Mary Kathryn said above. Older women who are happy and content just SHINE, whereas, I think, older women who are fighting it with everything they have (if you know what I mean) just seem to look strange to me. Are there things I’d like to change? Oh yeah. My neck is starting to sag and my tummy could use some tightening, but will I change them? No way. It’s hard, but I’m trying to learn to embrace this new season in my life and be an example to my daughters that I accept who I am.

Personally I wouldn’t go the Botox route or anything in terms of plastic surgery to make me look younger. I’m getting older – it is what it is, you know? LOL. And there’s plenty of beauty products around that help mask wrinkles and thinks so thank God for that :)

That said, I totally have no opinion about people who do it other than hey, whatever floats your boat. We all have our own insecurities and if getting plastic surgery makes a person feel better about themselves, I say go for it, be happy. People are too judgy about it.

I wouldn’t, I’m looking for natural ways to fix what’s not looking good right now and the answer consistently seems to be exercise! So, I might look younger if I were more fit. I’m not talking about weight – I’m not overweight – I’m talking about things like my cheeks and chin, which have little pockets of fat. boo :(

Based on the comments above, I think I’m in the minority :) I think it is possible to ‘age gracefully’ with a little help. I DO use Botox and have been VERY happy with the results. I look younger in pictures now (far fewer wrinkles – yeah for the retro-active results!) than I did three years ago before I started. I can’t say I would under-go a full facelift – that definitely sounds scary to me, but I’m happy to embrace some of the maintenance that is available to us. :)

Hmm, first, congrats on the gig. Very neat opportunity. Second, I haven’t had anything done (beyond Sephora shipping me product) but I’d like to think that aging gracefully isn’t determined by a formula that defines no work or work as grace or lack thereof. We all travel this world in our own way and if getting a waddle fixed or eliminating a shelf brings a kind of peace or if embracing the vestiges of pregnancy or life make you happy, then that’s all that matters.

I would love to be free of my worries about image, some of it does come from age, but other parts come from “holy smokes, that cream works!”

Here’s to affording everyone grace as they decide for themselves.

When I am done having children, I would like to have the girls lifted, and I want my stretch marks removed. If my skin is anything like my biological mother’s, I am going to look younger than I am for quite a few more years :)

Jo-Lynne,
    Congrats on the gig. As a former beauty editor, and co-author of Beautiful Skin: Every Woman’s Guide to Looking Her Best at Any Age, I believe that women should do whatever feels right to feel their best. I think Botox has it’s place (and yes, I use it sparingly). I think if we feel we look good, we can approach the world with more confidence.
    Estelle

I handle some of the social media for a local medical spa that offers fillers and dermabrasions and such. They don’t do any actual surgery in that office though. We have a trade worked out and I am able to take advantage of lots of different services that I normally would budget for.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE getting spa facials and microdermabrasions. They are making my skin feel and look so much better. I have had and still occasionally have issues with severe eczema. I hope that using these procedures and good skincare products will help me fight that and at the same time help me to look young longer.

That being said I personally would never have surgery or have fillers put into my face. I’ve decided that I am going to age the way God intended me to age. But I will be taking the best care I can of my skin so that it doesn’t happen too quickly. :)

16. Nell says

I would love to do it. I’d like a breast lift, nose job, and tummy tuck. I’m not quite to the age where I need help with my face but when that happens, I wouldn’t be opposed to the thought of helping my face too. :)

Nell

No way. Every wrinkle, gray hair and extra pound I have each comes with a story. That story isn’t always pretty. Sometimes its dark, discouraging and defeating. Sometimes its full of light and joy. My body tells those stories – and I’m not embarrassed to allow it to be whatever life has made it. It bothers me our culture is embarrassed to age, and ashamed of an old body. Being old is a privilege denied to many, and we should celebrate it instead of denying it.