Gluten-Free Hershey Kiss Cookies . . . oh yes I did!!!
Last night I finally started my Christmas cookie baking. My kids have been begging for Hershey Kiss Cookies, and I have to admit, they are one of my favorite cookies too, but it occurred to me that I hadn’t actually had one in over three years, thanks to my old nemesis, gluten. I decided to try making them with my gluten-free peanut butter cookie recipe. It worked out splendidly!! These gluten-free Hershey Kiss cookies are our new favorite!
The only thing I did differently from my regular recipe is I didn’t use a fork to flatten them. I rolled them into balls (and I also rolled them in sugar, which, actually made them a bit TOO sweet; next time I might skip that step, or reduce some of the sugar in the actual recipe. If I do that, I will update this post!) and popped them in the oven. They puffed up and then got all crackly on top, and I removed them JUST before they started to brown. Then I placed the Hershey kisses on top and watched them disappear!
Here’s the recipe. And I promise you, whether or not you care one iota about the gluten, these cookies are phenomenal. My neighbors who were visiting last night can attest!
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter (do not use “natural” peanut butter)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 bag Hershey Kisses
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat peanut butter and sugars on medium-high till fluffy.
- Then stir in the eggs, baking soda, vanilla, and salt.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- Roll the dough into balls, and if desired, you can roll them in granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, unwrap enough Hershey kisses to top the cookies in the oven. It is important to have them ready to place on the cookies as soon as you remove them from the oven!!!
- When the cookies are puffy and crinkled a bit and just barely beginning to brown around the edges, remove them from the oven; immediately top with unwrapped Hershey Kisses.
- Allow cookies to set for 5-10 minutes; then remove to a rack to cool completely.