Hi, it’s Colleen here today with what I think are the BEST Mashed Potatoes AND something fun and exciting for YOU!
With just 6 days left until Easter, many of us are planning what to serve or bring to the big dinner, as well as how to decorate and add the extra touches that make our holidays memorable. My friend Heather (Real: The Kitchen and Beyond) and I (Souffle Bombay) gathered 26 bloggers to share some of their Easter Entertaining Ideas with you! From Jelly Bean Trees to a Giant Deviled Egg, we’ve got you covered!
To make this even more memorable, we have some amazing giveaways for two lucky readers! There are prizes from John Boos (maker of incredible cutting boards, butcher blocks and more), The Spice House (my favorite on-line destination and THE place for amazing spices), Wilton Armetale (maker of both beautiful and functional serving and grill ware), Divine Chocolates, (a fair trade, farmer-owned chocolate company) & The Tree Hut (natural body products that do what they say!) Follow along via #AllThingsEaster on social media this week, and visit our Pinterest Board “All Things Easter” for more ideas.
I spied these a-mazing Browned Butter & Scallion Mashed Potatoes years ago in a Bon Appetit Magazine, and I instantly HAD to make them. One of my brothers was skeptical the Easter I first made them, but he was soon converted…not a single smidgen was left and I made 10 pounds!
Everyone loves mashed potatoes right? For holidays I think its fun to change them up into something a little more special, something you remember and maybe associate with that meal or holiday. These do just that for me. You take your first bite and you’re like, ummm ok, something is different. Then you quickly take another and another, and in a minute you’re reaching for the serving spoon to add more to your plate. Every time you find one of the wilted scallion pieces, your mind, tongue and tummy do a happy dance! The browned bitter bits take this to a different level. These potatoes really are spectacular…simple yet spectacular!
- 5 pounds potatoes such as Yukon Gold or Russett, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1½ sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 bunches scallions, cut crosswise into ½-inch pieces
- ½ teaspoon or more of black pepper
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a heavy pot and add 1 teaspoons salt to the water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a heavy skillet over moderately high heat, stirring frequently and scraping up brown bits, until foam subsides and butter is golden brown (but be careful not to burn it), about 8 minutes. Add scallions and pepper and cook, stirring, until scallions become wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, shaking until mostly dry. Force potatoes through a potato masher or return them to the pot and mash hot potatoes with a potato masher.
- Fold browned butter mixture, milk and sour cream into the mashed potatoes season with salt and serve.
- Tips: In place of the scallions you could substitute shallots or minced sweet onion. You can also add in crispy bacon or pancetta to take these potatoes over the top!
What is the dish that makes your Easter or favorite holiday memorable?
Check out all the posts in this fun, delicious and creative #AllThingsEaster event. The Rafflecopter giveaway widget is at the end of the post.
Ideas for Leftover Easter Eggs
Easter Breakfast Recipe Ideas
Easter Dinner Recipe Ideas
Easter Dessert Recipe Ideas
Easter Cocktail Recipe Ideas
Easter Decorating Ideas
Easter Gift Ideas
Frugal Easter Basket Ideas & Menu
And now for a fabulous giveaway! The kids aren’t going to be having all the fun this Easter. Two of you will win one of the amazing prizes below.
One of you will win this a-mazing Signature Spice Box Set from the Spice House (wait till you try the Vulcan’s Fire Salt!) as well as this incredibly gorgeous John Boos Maple Cutting Board with Stainless Steel Handles…it has handles! Swoon!
And one of you will win a delicious Bakers Spice Box from the Spice House (the Chicago Sugar will change your life!), this gorgeous set of decadent chocolates from Divine Chocolate, this beautiful Egg Tray from Wilton Armetale and this awesome Tree Hut Duo of Shea Body Lotion and Sugar Scrub – time to pamper yourself!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
We would like to give a huge thank you to the companies that made this give away possible! Thank you to John Boos for the beautiful maple cutting board, The Spice House for their spice and baking gift sets, Divine Chocolate for their luxuriously rich Fair Trade Chocolate gift basket, Wilton Armetale for the elegant egg plate, and Tree Hut for the body scrub and lotion.
Enjoy your holiday!